2 lbs Ground lamb
1 1/2 cup Onions, diced
1 1/2 cup Carrots, small dice
4 Garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 T Fresh thyme
1 cups Beef stock
1/2 cup Wine
3T Tomato Paste
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
3 T Flour
1 cup Frozen peas
Parsley to garnish
6 lbs russet potatoes,
peeled and cubed
3/4 cup Half and Half
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Prepare filling by heating a large oven-safe skillet with high sides or an enameled cast-iron braiser over medium heat and browning the ground lamb. Once the meat is browned, use a slotted spoon to set it aside. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat.
3. Sauté onions and carrots until onions become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute longer. Add the meat back to pan and season with salt and pepper.
4. Sprinkle the meat with the flour, toss to coat, and continue to cook for another minute. Add the tomato paste, broth, wine, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then decrease the heat to low, cover, and simmer slowly until the sauce is thickened slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. (Recipe Continued on Back)
5. Add peas, mix, and set aside.
6. Boil potatoes in salted boiling water until tender. Drain
7. Combine the half-and-half and butter in a microwave-safe container and heat until warmed
through, about 30 seconds
8. Mash the potatoes then add half-and-half mixture and stir until smooth.
9. Add the parmesan to the potatoes. Stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and
10. Top the meat mixture with dollops of the mashed potatoes and spread them out evenly. (Or transfer the meat mixture to a casserole dish and top with potatoes.)
11. Bake the pie until the potatoes have begun to brown and the edges are bubbling, about 30minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.